In our last blog we started to explore the interesting topic of the Emerald Ash Borer. This destructive invasive species has found it’s way to Western New York. Not all lawn care companies also provide tree care tailored to help eliminate the Emerald Ash Borer. Buffalo Lawn and landscape
What Can be Done by governments?
- They have, as recently as June of 2015, been spotted around Glen Park, New York. According to The Buffalo News, Patrick Marren, a forrester cites a new plan of SLAM in the state’s efforts to fight this invasive species. SLAM Slow Ash Mortality to slow the spread (containment) while homeowners and municipalities can make a plan and act on it. This will also allow the cost of the efforts to shared among several fiscal years.
- Bringing in natural predators (or in this case parasite) of the Ash Borer is hoped to help. The larvae of the Stingless wasp from Asia, the land from which the Emerald Ash borer comes, feed on the larvae of the Ash Borer.
What can be done by Citizens?
Normal citizens can take action too, here is a list of things you can do to help stop the Emerald Ash Borer.
- Don’t’ move firewood.
- Buy kiln dried wood.
- Be able to identify an Ash Tree and monitor its health.
- Report any signs of them to your municipality.
What Can Buffalo Lawn and Landscape do?
- Buffalo Land and Landscape can spray your trees in the spring and early summer to stop the youngest stage of larvae from getting inside of the tree. Call Buffalo Lawn and Landscape at 716.247.4738 to ask about our Ash Borer treatment.