We offer professional weed control for homes and businesses in the Erie County and Niagara County, NY areas.
Controlling the weeds in your lawn can be a time consuming and frustrating process, especially if you do not understand the type of weeds or the life cycle of the weeds you are dealing with. At Buffalo Lawn & Pest Control, we are familiar with the common weeds in the Erie County and Niagara County area and how to treat them properly.
Common Weeds in the Buffalo, Lancaster, East Amherst, & Williamsville Areas
Knowing the weeds that are prominent in the area help determine how and when to treat them. Common weeds found in the lawns in the Buffalo area include:
- Clover: This perennial weed grows well in moist areas and thrives on soil that is nitrogen-depleted. Clover can be hazardous for your children playing in the yard as it attracts bees.
- Creeping Charlie/Ground Ivy: True to its name, Creeping Charlie spreads as it grows by rhizomes, which means horizontally. This weed creates a net over everything.
- Chickweed: Similar to Creeping Charlie, this weed grows outwards in a web-like fashion.
- Moss: Moss thrives in both sunny and shady areas of your lawn, depending on the species. Aerating your lawn will help alleviate problems with moss.
- Crabgrass: A common weed easily treated by both pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides.
Life Cycles of Annual, Biennial & Perennial Weeds
Weeds are usually a mixture of annuals, biennials, and perennials. Annual weeds die within a twelve-month period, biennials complete their life cycle in about two years, and perennials can live for more than two years. Knowing which weeds have a shorter or longer lifespan helps determine the best route to treating this annoying problem!
Best Time of the Year to Control Weeds
After determining which weeds are plaguing your property and the best method for treating them, we offer herbicide treatments in conjunction with our fertilization package.
For weeds like crabgrass, the optimal way to gain control is by spraying a pre-emergent herbicide during early spring or summer.
Late spring or early summer are the best times for a heavier broadleaf control, whereas the middle of summer is a great time to treat your lawn with a combined herbicide and insecticide (add-on service in order to control surface damaging insects). During the fall is a good time for another broadleaf weed control treatment, as long as temperatures are about 45°F.
Call us today to discuss the weed issues you are experiencing in your lawn!
Controlling weeds is not easy! At Buffalo Lawn & Pest Control, our professionals will inspect your lawn, find the problem areas, and create a plan that will lead to a solution. Weed control can take time before issues are completely eradicated, but starting now well get you moving in the right direction. Call us today at (716) 961-9431 to set up your lawn inspection and treatment service estimate! We are currently offering our weed control services to Erie County and Niagara County, NY, including the communities of Buffalo, Lancaster, East Amherst, Williamsville, Orchard Park, and Hamburg.